Madrid Open City Awards, II edition
Elevating the Spanish capital on a global stage
Across business, education, technology, and quality of life, Madrid's got a bright future ahead.
The Madrid Open City Awards honour people, ideas and institutions for their contributions to the Spanish capital's positive global standing as a place to live, work and do business. As the city continues to grow and welcome international residents and trade, the awards are a moment to recognise those who are helping it evolve.
The second edition of the awards, an initiative from Madrid Open City, took place at the renowned Thyssen Bornemisza Museum on 5 February. Saffron CEO and cofounder Jacob Benbunan participated as a jury member, representing a branding industry perspective with insight earned from Saffron’s experience in place branding.
Categories and honorees in this year’s awards included:
- Extraordinary MOC Award: Antonio Garrigues Walker
- Entrepreneurship: Cabify
- Sports: Fórmula 1 Madrid
- Talent Attraction: Mahou San Miguel
- ESG: Mapfre
- Health: HM Hospitals
- Education: Carlos III University
- Innovation: Mutua Madrileña
- Leisure and Entertainment: Paraguas Group
- Communication: ‘Madrileños por el Mundo’, Telemadrid
- Fashion and Design category: Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Madrid
- Posthumous recognition of Josep Piqué, former Minister of Foreign Affairs
An independent, apolitical association, Madrid Open City is formed by leading organisations and entrepreneurs with institutions support from the Community of Madrid and Madrid City Council. The organisation’s fundamental mission is to ‘position and promote the Spanish capital, attracting investments, talent, and innovation in all sectors.’